it's PERSONAL BRAND — VISION
- Clarify the direction you want to go. (internal)
- Use your words to paint pictures in the mind of others to help them identify with you. (external)
- Create a vision so clear that others can see themselves within it. (external)
- Create a vision that aligns to your purpose. That way, when times get tough and no one has your back, you still have the courage and fortitude to go the extra mile or to walk away from a bad deal. (internal)
- Know the difference between your identity (who you are today) and your vision for the future (who you will become). (internal)
Questions to answer
What is your future utopia? Go as big as you can. What does the world look like? Martin Luther King’s speech, I Have A Dream, was a utopia at the time.
Why do you do what you do?
What’s your vision?
When you’re done with the exercises below, share your vision with us in our LinkedIn group. Ask us questions about it. What do you like or dislike about what you wrote? What do you want more of?
CRAFTING YOUR POWERFUL VISION
Exercise 1: Utopia & Dystopia
Time travel yourself into the future and write a letter to yourself that describes your new reality. Think of yourself as a fish out of water like Marty McFly in the movie, Back to the Future.
Utilize all of your senses: What do you see? hear? feel? taste?
What are the similarities and differences from your world today?
Exercise 2: What drives you?
Review both visions and ask yourself why one is more beneficial than the other. This is why you do what you do. Mother Jones was driven by miner’s rights.
Exercise 4: Write your vision
Write a one sentence statement of why you do what you do. Then utilize your utopian and dystopian examples to explain what that means in a paragraph description.
Exercise 5: Adjust & Align
What changes for you personally between now and and your vision becoming true? How are you currently living your vision? What decisions did you finally have to make? Who do you need to meet? What new actions to you have to take? What do you need to tell yourself? Write a letter to yourself in the future through this link.